Chapter 5 - The Impossible ChoiceThe next morning, Dr. Evans convened an emergency medical conference in the hospital's private board room.

I sat beside Sarah's wheelchair, holding her hand firmly under the table. Across from us sat Dr. Evans, along with a top maternal-fetal medicine specialist, Dr. Karen Vance, and a chief bone marrow transplant surgeon.
Dr. Vance placed a series of scans and blood work charts on the digital screen at the front of the room.
"Mr. and Mrs. Miller," Dr. Vance began, her tone professional yet deeply empathetic. "We have reached a critical crossroads in Sarah's treatment plan. Her bone marrow failure has reached a severe stage. Without an aggressive bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy, Sarah's life expectancy is measured in months."
Sarah's grip on my hand tightened until her knuckles turned white. I squeezed back, keeping my posture solid.
"What about the baby?" I asked directly.
Dr. Vance took a deep breath. "That is the complication. High-dose chemotherapy and a marrow transplant cannot be performed while Sarah is carrying the pregnancy. The radiation and immunosuppressants would terminate the fetus immediately."
The air in the room became suffocatingly heavy.
"If we wait until the baby reaches full term at thirty-six weeks," Dr. Evans added gravely, "Sarah's own organ systems will likely fail before then. The safest medical recommendation to save Sarah's life... is to terminate the pregnancy immediately and begin chemotherapy this week."
Sarah instantly let go of my hand, placing both of her palms over her stomach with a fierce, protective maternal instinct.
"No," Sarah said firmly, her voice shaking with absolute resolve. "No. Absolutely not."
"Sarah, please listen to the doctors—" I began, my heart tearing in two.
"No, Charles!" Sarah turned to me, her eyes flashing with a fierce, burning light I had never seen before. "I spent four years hiding this illness to protect your future! I am not going to kill our child to save my own skin! This baby is a miracle! It's the only good thing that came out of our three years of pain!"
"Sarah, if I lose you, this baby won't have a mother!" I pleaded, tears spilling over my eyes. "I can't live in a world without you! I just got you back!"
"And I can't live in a world where I survived by sacrificing our child!" she cried back.
Dr. Evans raised his hand gently, stepping between our emotional storm.
"There is a third option, Mr. Miller," Dr. Evans said carefully. "A high-risk, experimental bridge protocol developed by a research team at Johns Hopkins. It involves targeted immunoglobulins and low-dose platelet support to buy time—aiming to push the pregnancy safely to twenty-eight weeks, where we can deliver the baby via emergency C-section and immediately begin Sarah's transplant."
"What are the risks?" I asked, leaning forward.
"The risk to Sarah is extreme," Dr. Evans admitted honestly. "If her systemic platelet count drops below critical levels before twenty-eight weeks, she could suffer fatal internal hemorrhaging. And we still need a fully matching bone marrow donor ready for the day of delivery."
May you like
Sarah looked at me, her eyes pleading, begging me to choose our child.
I looked at the woman who had sacrificed her own happiness for four years to protect me. I took a deep, shuddering breath, looked Dr. Evans dead in the eye, and made my decision.
Related Stories